30 November 2008

Destructing maps...

I want to use world map as platform of the interaction. I am still working on that. I was literally destructing the map, but the way I make it (if it is ripped off, cutted in squares, in different shapes, etc) has to have a meaning (this was one of the questions by my tutor: why squares? That I couldn't answer). By the way, this blog is a very good resource to check what people have been doing with maps: http://strangemaps.wordpress.com/

The idea is that I want to break this human constructed national borders that for me, apart from political issue, makes no sense in terms of culture. The culture is not delimited by national borders. I want to show that everything is moving inside the map. "I am from Brazil, therefore I belong to that culture". Why is that? What culture exactly are we talking about? There are all kinds of people in the country I was born, all kinds of habits, cultures...

The story of our lives, what influences us during the journey of life, define ourselves that can be related to different cultures and groups and it is not closed to this or that nation.

Lots of thoughts are in my mind at the moment (I am basically questioning everything to get clearer in my thoughts), as you can see so I might have to focus in few aspects to be able to my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment