7 November 2008

Why sending notebooks?

After deciding the aim of this project, firstly I thought of making a user-generated-content website (web 2.0), completely virtual. Why I decided not to? First because allowing users put whatever they want, even when I close fields and when I moderate the content, I have not much control of what they talk about, which means that my aim could be so diluted that would make what I wanted to show not clear at all, and therefore loose the strength. Plus, with so short-term project, when the project is a user-generated-content, at the end of the 3 months I would present an empty project, there would be no time for users actually contribute to that.

So, I inverted the process. Instead of developing and finishing a project and then start having the content, I decided getting the data first, for then develop from the specific data I get.

Adding this plan with my interest for real tactile things (which fascinates me more than any virtual media), I decided to get information in the real world, asking people one by one. There are many ways to get information from people. I decided the written word. I wanted a way that people could feel comfortable to tell their experiences and their lives. I wanted people to feel comfortable as well as important. So, for that, nothing better than a book (not a sheet of paper, but a book). You, writing about your experiences are being part of a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment