29 November 2008

Narrative Conference

I went to the Narrative Conference last weekend at the Encounters Film Festival and it was very interesting. It wasn't just about films but also about games, machinima, web-dramas, etc. It is very interesting to start looking the website as a narrative form, no matter if it is a comercial website or a story based website. I got this sense in the first term of this MA working with screenwriters. Before that I used to think about websites and audience just in terms of usability, what users are looking for, what they want to find, etc. And now (not discarting looking to the audience and the usability of the website) I also have in mind what I want to show, instead of just what users want to find. I get the author's point of view. You can see the website you're creating as narrative (a very interesting essay about it at the [A List Apart website] ). In the case of this project, for example, the story is about moving and leaving things behind. The narrative is not linear, but broken narrative (testemonies from people) that the audience will put it together by the main theme. The story will be shown by the way I make the interactive narrative. All the elements of the story should be delivered, which I believe they are: the testemonies and the moving. I can't think about anything more as essential elements for this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment