8 December 2008

Breaking national borders (literally)

To create the concept of breaking national borders, I will literally break the borders. Instead of my previews thoughts and tests of breaking the map into pieces, I am breaking the lines into pieces.

In this video I recorded me drawing lines of the world map in order to create a new map.

I pick a line, randomly, in the map and draw a piece of that, turn the page and draw another line, and so on.



The idea is to create a map where it is showed the movements of people. The borders become the lines (in red) which represents the movement of the "nomads".

It will become something like this:
After closing this concept of breaking the maps using the lines of the borders and creating a new map, I am working on how to match this concept (the map) with the notebooks' testemonies in one piece (the website).

4 comments:

  1. Hallo, amiga! Very interesting experiment! How did you manage to make this film AND draw at the same time?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, dear! This was a very difficult and expensive technique of putting the camera ON my head (literally). I took the piece that holds the camera into the tripod and put my hat in between that and wore the hat.

    This sounds stupid and I looked quite stupid, but it was the best way to film just my hands doing it and zoom in and out when I want. I think it worked quite well, because it is a bit rough and it works with all the aesthetic of the project (handmade).

    It was just a test, but it might be the technique I use, just a bit better and with a post production in After Effects.

    Thanks for asking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oi, Mariana!
    Thanks for sharing your interesting work process. I'm from Rio de Janeiro too and I'll be here whatching the growth of it. You're at my feeds. Beijos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obrigada, Cintia!

    It's very good to know you're following the blog! :)

    Bjs!

    ReplyDelete